Friday, July 15, 2011

I have problems with my father. Should he get anything for Father's day?

My father used to be a role model for me. He worked hard. He had a good job. He paid the bills and we went on vacations. Then about 6 years ago he started making bad choices. First he got a DUI. I remember that night perfectly because I was the only other one in the car with him riding in the passenger seat. That set our family back about 10,000 dollars in court fees and fines. Around the same time he was arrested for domestic violence to my mom. I also remember that night. That will also be one of the few nights I'll never forget ever. Because of that to this day I feel extremely uncomfortable watching domestic violence on television and especially first hand. He ran a landscaping business and made really good money. However after the DUI he lost his license and the company went under. About a year ago he found a decent job working for a catering company. He says he enjoys it but I just simply shrug I dont care. I am extremely disappointed in my father. I never ask him for some money for school or to go out because he never has any. I left for my second year of college in august thinking that when I came back for Thanksgiving I would see some change. There was none. My mom has diabetes but yet shes also working and she is definitely the one who holds the house (apartment) down. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment on the fourth floor with no lift. When my father comes back from work I tend to leave to go out with some friends, go to the gym, jog or go biking. My fathers birthday was a week ago. I made sure not to see him that day at all. I left the entire day. By the time I came back it had already past. He drinks on occasion by himself and comes back drunk. He doesn't abuse my mom because he knows that this time he'd never get out of jail but it is not a sight I like seeing. As I'm typing this right now he's sleeping on the couch. He's been sleeping on the couch since last year. Do I feel sorry for him? Very little. I guess this a little back story as to why I'm so disappointed in him,so upset with him and was wondering if he should get anything for Father's day besides an intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment